Having integrity in your financial management is important to operating a legally functioning nonprofit. It offers you peace of mind and confidence that you are honoring your vision, your donors, and those you serve.
Whether you are setting up your financial system for the first time, or need a clean-up of your existing financial systems, I meet you where you’re at. I help an organization’s management team and board understand the uniqueness of nonprofit finance. I can help turn your numbers into something actually useable for the management of your organization—which is key to helping you make the powerful decisions that enable growth while managing risk.
Together we create a solid financial system and infrastructure that offers you an effective and easy way to track your income and expenses so that you can issue receipts to your donors, produce financial statements, and satisfy your legal requirements.
Financial Structure Set-up
To process your donations and expenses and to run financial
statements you need a financial software system. I work
exclusively in QuickBooks which is the gold standard for small
business financial software.
This is what the set-up includes:
- Setting up the Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks
- Connecting your bank and credit accounts to QuickBooks
Entering Income and Expense History if needed
- Entering your past donations and expenses into QuickBooks
- Reconciling your past bank and credit accounts
- Running your year-to-date Profit & Loss Statement (P&L)
and Balance Sheet
Monthly Financial Processing
- Enter expenses and donation into QuickBooks
- Reconcile bank statements
- Run monthly Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet reports
- Create board financial reports as needed
The books need to be “closed” at the end of the fiscal year and
several processes completed.
- Process and mail annual receipts (report to donors)
- Run YTD reports including Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet
- Preparation completed for 990 (tax return)
- Produce financial expense and revenue analysis for board,
make recommendations for next year
Annual Budget Development
An annual budget is created at the end of each fiscal year for the next year. This includes facilitating visioning meetings with the board and staff and production of the budget.
My passion is to help to bring the financial stability and growth that will enable to expand your reach, and do more of what you love.